Today, we have a guest post from our friends at Colorado Egg Producers about Colorado Proud Month, celebrated every August.
Colorado Proud Month, which takes place every August, is an occasion to recognize and celebrate all of the fresh food and produce grown by our own local Colorado farmers and ranchers. When Coloradans buy local, they are supporting hard working farmers, ranchers and producers throughout the state. The Colorado Egg Producers (CEP) Association wants to thank Coloradans for their continued support.
“There are many reasons for Coloradans to buy local,” said Vince Ruscitti, local egg farmer and CEP member. “Locally produced products are fresh, high-quality and have less environmental impact. Eggs are a great example. CEP is proud to serve Colorado by producing fresh, nutritious eggs right here in the state.”
The Colorado Department of Agriculture developed the Colorado Proud program to identify food and agricultural products that are grown, raised or processed in the state. Colorado Proud Month is about more than purchasing fresh, local goods – it is also about supporting the Colorado economy. The Colorado agriculture industry is responsible for 170,000 jobs and more than $40 billion to the state’s economy. Specific to eggs, six local farms provide jobs for more 250 families and supply nearly $100 million annually to the state economy.
Every CEP member participates in the Colorado Proud program and is committed to providing Coloradans with many options for buying locally produced eggs. For example, CEP members are proud to offer consumers the choice between conventional, cage-free, organic, nutrient enhanced and brown or white eggs. These eggs can be found at most of your favorite Colorado grocery stores and served up at numerous local restaurants. To see a full list of where you can find Colorado eggs, visit the “Where to Buy Colorado Eggs” page under the Resources section of our website, www.coloradoeggproducers.com.
Colorado Proud has provided more great reasons to buy locally produced food:
• Seasonal diversity. Buying locally allows you to experience seasonal and regional favorites, diversifying your diet year-round.
• From farm to fridge. Instead of traveling from farms thousands of miles away, local produce is harvested and delivered immediately. Because your food spends less time in transport, it remains fresher longer.
• Support the local economy. Buying locally helps maintain jobs, sustain family farms and ranches and contribute to your state’s economy.
• Invest in the future. Buying local preserves the strength and character of communities for generations to come.
• Preserve open space and wildlife habitat. Buying local is better for the environment because it helps keep Colorado’s farms and ranches profitable, thereby maintaining open space and wildlife habitat.
Here are a few ways you can celebrate Colorado Proud Month with CEP:
• DTC Eats on every other Monday through September 12
You can find us every other Monday all summer long at DTC Eats, an event featuring lunches prepared by Denver’s finest food trucks in the Denver Tech Center. Look for the CEP logo on food trucks serving specialty egg dishes made with Colorado eggs.
• Colorado State Fair from August 26-September 5
Support CEP, Colorado Commodities and Colorado Proud produce and other local farmers at the upcoming Colorado State Fair at the fairgrounds in Pueblo, Colo.
For more information on our events and to learn about CEP, visit our website at www.coloradoeggproducers.com or follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.