Looking for some lunchbox inspiration? Today, we are sharing our recipe for egg salad sandwiches with a homemade egg white mayonnaise. This recipe makes two sandwiches for a couple of brown bag lunches for school or work.
Egg Salad Sandwiches with Egg White Mayonnaise
• 4 NestFresh Eggs
• 1/3 cup of egg white mayonnaise (recipe below)
• ½ teaspoon yellow mustard
• 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
• 2 tablespoons finely diced celery
• ¼ teaspoon fresh dill (or 1/8 teaspoon dried dill)
• 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper
• 1/8 teaspoon paprika
• 4 pieces whole wheat bread
• 4 lettuce leaves
• 1 small tomato
1. In a medium sized pot, add eggs and fill cold water about an inch above the eggs. Cook on medium high heat until water begins to boil. Remove pan from heat, cover and let sit for 10 minutes.
2. Once eggs have sat in the hot water, remove and briefly run under cold water. Peel and chop eggs.
3. In a bowl combine eggs, mayonnaise, and mustard. Add green onions, diced celery, dill, salt, pepper, and paprika and stir to combine.
4. Place about ½ cup of the egg mixture on a slice of bread, garnish with lettuce and sliced tomato, top with another slice of bread and enjoy!
Egg White Mayonnaise
• 2 NestFresh Egg whites
• 4 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
• 2 teaspoons white vinegar
• ½ teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon mustard
• 1 cup canola oil
1. Using a blender, immersion blender or a whisk, combine egg whites, lemon juice, vinegar, salt, and mustard. Mix until eggs whites are frothy.
2. Continue mixing, with either one of the blenders or whisk, and very slowly add a stream of oil. This could take a couple of minutes to completely incorporate all of the oil.
3. Once all of the oil has been incorporated, mixture will become thick and white. When it reaches this stage your mayonnaise is done. Use immediately or store in an airtight container in your refrigerator.