It is officially fall! We are so excited to share one of our favorite fall recipes with you today. Our Savory Pizza-Stuffed French Toast is the perfect way to warm up a chilly fall day and a perfect pick-me-up for kids now that school is in full swing. With family-friendly appeal, this simple French toast with Italian flavors is perfect for a quick lunch or dinner.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
• 8 slices day-old Italian bread
• 1/2 cup pizza sauce
• 1 1/3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
• 1 oz pepperoni slices
• 3 NestFresh Eggs
• 1/2 cup milk
• 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
• 1/2 tsp dried oregano
• Pinch each salt and pepper
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• Marinara sauce, for dipping
1. Place slices of bread on work surface. Spread pizza sauce over half of the bread. Top with mozzarella and pepperoni. Cap with remaining bread.
2. In shallow baking dish, whisk together eggs, milk, Parmesan, oregano, salt and pepper. Heat oil in large skillet set over medium heat.
3. Dip each sandwich into egg mixture, coating completely; cook in batches, turning once, for 7 to 8 minutes or until golden brown and cheese is melted. Serve with marinara sauce for dipping.
• Substitute other pizza toppings, such as leftover sausage, sautéed mushrooms or roasted red peppers for pepperoni if desired.
• Substitute basil pesto for pizza sauce if desired.